People who have been exposed to rain, snow, wind, severe cold air for a long time are called hypothermia when their body temperature starts to rise with 35 degrees instead of 37 degrees which is normal.
When exposed to cold for too long, the body activates its defense mechanisms to lose more heat. The blood flow is reduced, the body starts to flicker and tries to keep the temperature of the organs at normal level.
So what can you do when you lose the energy to defend your body? The answer to this question should be: “Hypothermia can reach life threatening dimensions!”
What are Hypothermic Symptoms?
Hypothermia is a slow progressing process that can not be realized. Signs showing hypothermia;
- ● Hand and foot weight
- ● Sleepiness
- ● Slowing of heart rate
- ● Detection difficulty
- ● Agitation in conversation
- ● Request for deep breathing
- ● Uncontrolled hand and foot movements
- ● A marked change in behavior
- ● It is tremorous
What should be done when hypothermia is noticed?
- ● First of all, if there is a possibility to call the emergency department, health teams should be informed first.
- ● If there is no shelter or if transportation times are long, a shelter should be reserved for sheltering from cold rather than waiting in cold weather.
- ● After providing safe space, dry clothing should be worn away from wet clothes.
- ● It should be tried to stay in motion constantly, not to lean.
- ● A hot drink without alcohol will help to warm up.
- ● It is a good choice to wrap around a blanket, bed sheet, sleeping bag to keep the hands and feet and the whole body warm, especially in the abdominal region.
What To Do To Avoid Caught Hypothermia?
First, care should be taken not to go out in cold, stormy, rainy weather. If you have to go out, you must take the necessary precautions.
- ● 20% of the body’s cooling occurs in the head zone. First, a scarf to keep the head warm and a scarf to protect the face from the cold will work.
- ● Then, hands and feet should be well protected. A glove with a thick sock and boots and a hand warmer is sufficient for the second stage.
- ● As a third step, it is best to go to a dry, warm atmosphere as soon as possible during such weather.